Sunday, 30 November 2014

Reported questions

In Reported speech there is no question anymore, the sentence becomes a statement.
That's why the word order is: subject - verb
  • Questions without question words (yes/no questions):
Peter: "Do you play football?" - Peter asked me (if) I played football.
  • Questions with question words:
Peter: "When do you play football?" - Peter asked me when I played football.

Aegade ja aja-ning kohamääruste muutumine, kui saatelause on minevikus (He said.../She told....We wanted to know..../ My friend asked .... )


Aegade muutumine     
 “Direct speech”
Kaudne kõne
Reported speech
Am, is
was
are
were
have, has (written)
had (written)
like / write / drives
liked / wrote /  drove
don’t go / doesn’t go
didn’t go
didn't write
hadn't written
will
would
can
could
must
had to
shall
should
may
might
Do/Does….(go)?
If … (went)
wrote
had written
Aja- ja kohamääruste muutumine
today
that day
tomorrow
the next day
yesterday
the day before / the previous day
last week / last month / last year
the week before / the month before / the year before
next week / next month / next year
the next week / the next month / the next year
this week / this month / this year
that week / that month / that year
this
that
these
those
now
then
ago
before
soon
later
come
go

Statements


Backshift of tenses
from
to
Peter: "I work in the garden."
Peter said (that) he worked in the garden.
Peter: "I worked in the garden."
Peter said (that) he had worked in the garden.
Peter: "I have worked in the garden."
Peter: "I had worked in the garden."
Peter: "I will work in the garden."
Peter said (that) he would work in the garden.
Peter: "I can work in the garden."
Peter said (that) he could work in the garden.
Peter: "I may work in the garden."
Peter said (that) he might work in the garden.
Peter: "I would work in the garden."
(could, might, should, ought to)
Peter said (that) he would work in the garden.
(could, might, should, ought to)
Progressive forms
Peter: "I'm working in the garden."
Peter said (that) he was working in the garden.
Peter: "I was working in the garden."
Peter said (that) he had been working in the garden.
Peter: "I have been working in the garden."
Peter: "I had been working in the garden."


Practise HERE